DV/SA Relief Advocate
Volunteer DV/SA Relief Advocates works inter-dependently with Staff Advocates to provide emotional support and advocacy services to Henderson House clients, including but not limited to: crisis intervention, safety planning, and resource referrals.
- Reports to Henderson House Lead Advocate
- Works inter-dependently with Henderson House Staff Advocates
- Collaborates with community partners, including: social service agencies, state agencies, community organizations, local court personnel, law enforcement, and medical personnel.
- Serves Henderson House clients and their families
- Assessing client eligibility for agency services utilizing established guidelines
- Serving as a back-up support group facilitator on an as-needed basis
- Bringing clients into the shelter and performing the intake process
- Recognizing child abuse/neglect issues and reporting to the Program Manager
- Providing advocacy, including: court advocacy, crisis counseling, safety planning, case management, transportation of clients to appointments, respite care for parents, assists with restraining orders, and accompanies clients to court and medical facilities.
- Answering crisis phone line and providing advocacy services over the phone
- Maintaining Community Resource Agencies List and brochures, updating information as needed
- Maintaining inventory of advocacy forms and packets in Community Resource Room and Office Supply Room
- Must have an approved College Internship or currently enrolled as a DHS JOBS Plus Participant
- Completion of 40-hour Core DV/SA Advocacy Training to become a “Certified Advocate”
- Ability to clearly communicate both verbally and in writing
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs
- Previous experience or shadowing experience providing advocacy recommended but not required
- General understanding of domestic and sexual violence, oppression and related issues.
- Familiarity with social service agencies, government agencies, and community organizations throughout Yamhill County
- Completed Crisis Phone Line Training and Role Play within 30 days of start date
This position reports to: Henderson House Program Manager
Time commitment: 6 months minimum